[torqueusers] pbs_server -t create can't find torque library

Lloyd Brown lloyd_brown at byu.edu
Mon Jul 21 09:17:44 MDT 2008

Kevin Barnhart wrote:
> Here's an easy one for someone.  I just compiled and installed
> Torque-2.3.1 on Ubuntu Hardy Server (because the .deb version of Torque
> is quite broken) and upon running:
>
> $ sudo ./torque.setup <USERNAME>
> initializing TORQUE (admin: kbarnhar at cesepcruncher.mines.edu)
> pbs_server: error while loading shared libraries: libtorque.so.2: cannot
> qmgr: error while loading shared libraries: libtorque.so.2: cannot open
> ERROR: cannot set TORQUE admins
> qterm: error while loading shared libraries: libtorque.so.2: cannot open
>
> But as desired:
>
> $ ls /usr/local/lib/libtorque* -l
> -rw-r--r-- 1 root root 1699812 2008-07-18 15:14 /usr/local/lib/libtorque.a
> -rwxr-xr-x 1 root root     806 2008-07-18 15:14 /usr/local/lib/libtorque.la
> lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root      18 2008-07-18 15:14
> /usr/local/lib/libtorque.so -> libtorque.so.2.0.0
> lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root      18 2008-07-18 15:14
> /usr/local/lib/libtorque.so.2 -> libtorque.so.2.0.0
> -rwxr-xr-x 1 root root  718451 2008-07-18 15:14
> /usr/local/lib/libtorque.so.2.0.0
>
> It seems that I need to setup a library path?  I'm sure there's a simple
> answer.
>
> Thanks in advance,
> Kevin

Yes.  I suspect it's a library path issue.  The way to check your shared
libraries is with the ldd tool, although that just works with binaries,
and not scripts like torque.setup.  At a glance, the torque.setup script
is probably failing with the pbs_server binary.  So, for example, you
could do something like this:

ldd /path/to/wherever/you/installed/pbs_server

If you see any "not found" messages, then you need to figure out where
they are, and add them to the appropriate path.

In this case, I suspect that Ubuntu by default doesn't have
/usr/local/lib in the path; I seem to remember being really surprised by
that before.  If that's the case, there are two ways to add it:

- Append or prepend to LD_LIBRARY_PATH variable - Note that since this
is environment instance specific, I wouldn't recommend it, except for
testing.  For example to make sure that's going to fix your problem (and
assuming you're using Bash shell), you could do this:

export LD_LIBRARY_PATH=/usr/local/lib:$LD_LIBRARY_PATH
ldd /path/to/wherever/you/installed/pbs_server

- Add the path (/usr/local/lib) either to /etc/ld.so.conf file, or to a
file in /etc/ld.so.conf.d/, then run "ldconfig" to update the path
cache, etc.  This is the recommended system-wide way of doing things.

--

Lloyd Brown
Systems Administrator