[torqueusers] Job array throttling

Gabe Turner gabe at msi.umn.edu
Fri Jul 11 07:26:17 MDT 2008

On Fri, Jul 11, 2008 at 01:51:43PM +1000, Chris Samuel wrote:

> ----- "Gabe Turner" <gabe at msi.umn.edu> wrote:
>
> > I actually went the route of setting MAXJOB in Moab so that only 10
> > jobs from any given user would be running, but having users submit more
> > than 10 jobs was deemed unacceptable as it made the output of showq too long
> > (according to the policy makers).  I wish I was joking, but, alas.  I
> > think I can do what they want using the submit filter.
>
> If you're running Moab there's a much easier fix!
>
> Set MAXIJOB to 1 (or 5, or whatever you wish) and then
> add to your moab.cfg:
>
> DISPLAYFLAGS    HIDEBLOCKED
>
> to block the display of other users blocked jobs.
>
> This got added at our request (we'd already patched Moab
> to do something similar) and is really handy when you've
> got people who submit 1,000 plus jobs in a batch (as we do).

Hrm, that is intriguing.  My concern would be that users who submit jobs
that get blocked may believe their jobs somehow failed to enter the queue.
I suppose they would still show up in the qstat output if they really
needed to see them, however.  I will explore this avenue of sanity, however
:)

Thanks!

Gabe

Gabe Turner                                             gabe at msi.umn.edu