[torqueusers] Job array throttling

Gabe Turner gabe at msi.umn.edu
Thu Jul 10 21:21:07 MDT 2008

On Fri, Jul 11, 2008 at 10:18:24AM +1000, Gareth.Williams at csiro.au wrote:
> Hi Gabe,
>
> I suggest that you fix the policy... I can't see a lot of point in
> having array jobs only up to a size of ten - and that subject to the
> user having no existing queued jobs.

Although I think it's a broken policy, the people who set it do not.  There
is, in fact, no reasonable point in restricting the number of jobs that any
user can submit, whether they're job arrays or not.

> You might look through the archives of the mailing list for info on
> setting up per user limits on queued jobs and having routing queues (to
> hold as many jobs as you like) that feed into the limited queues.

I actually went the route of setting MAXJOB in Moab so that only 10 jobs
from any given user would be running, but having users submit more than 10
jobs was deemed unacceptable as it made the output of showq too long
(according to the policy makers).  I wish I was joking, but, alas.  I think
I can do what they want using the submit filter.

Thanks everyone for the help and advice :)

Gabe

Gabe Turner                                             gabe at msi.umn.edu
UNIX System Administrator,
University of Minnesota