[torqueusers] MPICH2 support in TORQUE: do I need to run mpdboot myself?

Martin MOKREJŠ mmokrejs at ribosome.natur.cuni.cz
Wed Jul 2 12:26:12 MDT 2008

Hi,
  for completeness of the archive another follow-up from MPICH2
developers:

Pavan Balaji wrote:

Martin,

> http://www.mcs.anl.gov/research/projects/mpich2/documentation/files/mpich2-doc-user.pdf
> file is missing the tilde (~) character on page 18 in the URL:
> http://www.osc.edu/~pw/mpiexec

Thanks. I've fixed this in the source. This will show up in the next release.

>  I would like know whether some configure switch is necessary for MPICH2
> to compile-in PBS/Torque support.

You don't need any special configure switch for this.

> The name of the section 5.7 should be changed to make it more clear.
>
>  I will have to figure out why people on the internet use the
> following script to start their jobs using Torque:
>
> http://www.cct.lsu.edu/~hsunda3/doc/#id241705
>
> mpdboot --totalnum=`cat $PBS_NODEFILE | uniq | wc -l` -f $PBS_NODEFILE
> mpiexec -n `cat $PBS_NODEFILE | wc -l` a.out
> mpdallexit
>
>  Do people really have to remember that they have to shutdown mpds
> after the jobs is finished? I do not believe it works in real cases.
> :(

Currently, this is a workaround to be able to use MPD in PBS/Torque
environments. We are working on more direct support without needing to
start/stop MPD, that should be available late this year or early next
year.

In the meanwhile, you can use other alternatives too, such as the
OSC mpiexec, if you don't want to start/stop MPD.

Hope that helps.

-- Pavan