[torqueusers] lamboot, mpirun, pbs nodefile, and torque

Glen Beane glen.beane at gmail.com
Tue Jul 1 08:51:04 MDT 2008

On Mon, Jun 30, 2008 at 3:53 PM, <bkovacs at fusiongeo.com> wrote:

> Hi,
> I use lamboot with mpi to run my jobs. With torque and pbs I understand I
> need PBS_NODEFILE to get a list of nodes for the mpirun to use. I am using
> a bash script to keep all the variables and job info. The thing is that I
> need the jobs to run from the head node not the compute node that the
> PBS_NODEFILE is stored on. How do I get all the jobs to run from the head
> node and have it able to have the PBS_NODEFILE on the head node?
> Thank you,
> BB

the PBS_NODEFILE is created at job run time by the pbs_mom.  It will be on
the compute nodes, not the head node, but if you are using LAM then
_DO_NOT_USE_ PBS_NODEFILE!!  Compile LAM with TM support.  Then do this in
your TORQUE job script

lamboot #lam uses TORQUE to boot the lam deamons, so you don't need to pass
a list of hosts
mpirun C ....    #mpirun C uses all processors in the LAM environment, i.e.
all processors assigned by TORQUE
lamhalt