[torqueusers] pbs on single machine

Jan jand at uvic.ca
Wed Jan 9 14:58:22 MST 2008

Hi all,

I have one 8 core machine (2 quad core cpus) running linux (named
"headnode"). I would like to use PBS to run MPI jobs in it. I set up PBS
according to the mini howto. I told pbs that "headnode" is the server
and also the one node in the system. In the nodes file I entered
headnode np=8

Everything seems to work.
Running pbsnodes -a gives me:
headnode
     state = free
     np = 8
     ntype = cluster
     status = opsys=linux,uname=Linux
and a bunch more system info. I created a default queue and I can submit
jobs. The problem is, when I submit a jobscript like:

#PBS -l nodes=1:ppn=8
#PBS -l walltime=96:00:00
#PBS -j oe
cd $PBS_O_WORKDIR
echo $PBS_O_WORKDIR
/usr/local/bin/mpirun ./test > ./test.log

Everything seems to work fine, but when I look at the processes running
(e.g. with top), only one copy of "test" runs on the machine. "test" is
an executable usimg fortran and MPI.

I am wondering if there is anything obvious I missed in the
configuration. As far as I understand, I can set up a PBS system
consisting of a single machine with 8 cores. Any insight would be
greatly appreciated.

Thanks a lot, Jan

--
Jan Dettmer, Postdoctoral Fellow
School of Earth and Ocean Sciences, University of Victoria
office: (250) 472-4342	email: jand at uvic.ca
http://web.uvic.ca/~jand/