[torqueusers] Help with Torque routing queue configuration

Garrick Staples garrick at usc.edu
Fri Feb 22 18:47:33 MST 2008

On Wed, Feb 13, 2008 at 09:04:46AM -0500, Mike P Moore alleged:
> Hi,
>   I am trying to configure a routing queue that will submit a job to one
> of 3 execution queue based on
> the filesystem being used in the job.  I have a 54 node cluster running
> Rocks 4.1 with Torque 2.1.2.
> All of the compute nodes have access to the three filesystems that are
> used in the jobs that the users
> run.  We've found that with the particular application we are running, we
> can swamp the any given
> fileserver with ~20 jobs accessing that filesystem.  Once we go past that
> point, the wall time on the
> job greatly exceeds the cpu time of the job (indicating that the job is
> being throttled by disk access).
>   Now, what I would like to do is have the users submit their jobs to a
> routing queue (let's call it Route)
> which would be configured to submit job to 3 execution queues (let's call
> them execute-fs1 through fs3).
> I have the 3 execution queues to allow up to 20 jobs to be running in each
> queue.
>   The problem I have is that I am not sure what to configure in the queues
> to limit the jobs based on
> the filesystem that is being used by the job.  I plan on changing the
> submission commands used
> by the users to include information on what filesystem they are using.  I
> would like the routing queue
> to take each job and submit it to the execution queues and have the queue
> reject the job if it did not
> use the filesystem that queue is configured for.
>   Is it possible to do this?  Or would I just have to configure the 3
> execution queues and have the
> submission command choose what queue to use?  I would like to be able to
> use the routing queue
> as it would simplify things for the users.

No, you can't do routing based on an opaque string.  But I don't think
execution queues are the way to do this anyways.

You want to use generic consumable resources.  Or maybe node attributes (give
each node access to one or two filesystems).

University of Southern California