[torqueusers] Large cluster considerations

Ronny T. Lampert telecaadmin at gmail.com
Thu Feb 21 04:38:35 MST 2008

 > set server scheduler_iteration = 300
 > set server node_ping_rate = 180
 > set server node_check_rate = 300
 > set server tcp_timeout = 30
 > set server default_node = 1
 > set server node_pack = False
 > set server job_stat_rate = 120

And here are my settings for a low node, but high job-rate cluster
(sometimes 20k+ jobs queued and large submit bursts, now 700k jobs thru):

set server scheduler_iteration = 300
set server node_ping_rate = 180
set server node_check_rate = 300
set server tcp_timeout = 30
set server default_node = 1
set server node_pack = False
set server job_stat_rate = 120

Also make sure your head node has a reasonably fast disk and/or hardware
RAID and hardware caches.
If you're running on Linux you might increase the dirty ratio (it's in
per cent), found in

/proc/sys/vm/dirty_ratio

It's nowadays very low at 10, you usually can savely set it to 40.
This will help with large job bursts because disk writing is/can be
delayed and more buffers are available.

Also set dirty_background_ratio to maybe 10 or so (nowadays at 5).

I also had to adjust the maui scheduling rate or the poor thing would
iterate to death.

Cheers,
Ronny