[torqueusers] Dependencies being ignored from some submit hosts.

John Hanks griznog at gmail.com
Wed Feb 20 15:11:46 MST 2008

Hello,

I have a test setup, torque 2.2.1 and moab 5.2.1 running on a host,
call it hostA and a submit host called submitA which only has teh
torque clients (qsub, qstat, etc.).  I can successfully sumbint jobs
from sumbitA to hostA with qsub, but get odd behavior when using -W
depend=afterany:JOBID. For example

as a user on hostA I can do

$ qsub job.sh
hostA.165
$ qsub -W depend=afterany:165 job.sh
hostA.166

Then look at job 166 with checkjob and see it correctly handles the dependency:

NOTE:  job cannot run  (job has hold in place)
NOTE:  job cannot run  (dependency 165 jobsuccessfulcomplete not met)
BLOCK MSG: non-idle state 'Hold' (recorded at last scheduling iteration)

however, if I do the same thing from submitA

$ qsub job.sh
hostA.167
$ qsub -W depend=afterany:167 job.sh
hostA.168

Then look at the job with checkjob it says:

NOTE:  job cannot run  (job has hold in place)
BLOCK MSG: non-idle state 'Hold' (recorded at last scheduling iteration)

and treats this as a hold, so that the job never runs until I do a
manual releasehold to release the hold.

I have server_name on both hostA and submitA set to point to hostA and
torque has

set server submit_hosts = submitA

in it's configuration. What do I need to do to have dependencies
handled correctly from any submit host?

Thanks,

jbh