[torqueusers] What is the difference between PBS and Torque?

Omer Khalid Omer.Khalid at cern.ch
Tue Feb 19 10:29:00 MST 2008

Hi James,

Thanks for your prompt response and explaining me the history of Torque and
its architecture. So pbs_server is resource manager that takes care of the
resource provisioning, pbs_sched/Maui for scheduling the job and resource
allocation and pbs_mom for monitoring the computer node.. right??

So I guess that qmgr is part of pbs_server to set up the queues. Now let's
say for a cluster of 20 nodes, 5 different queues are specified based on
different type of execution priorities. Can all nodes consume jobs from any
of the queues or they are configured for specific queues?

And what happens when a job arrives at the pbs_server? Does pbs_sched/Maui
get the status info from the pbs_server about the available resources, and
based on a job's requirements put that into a specific queue? Does it also
allocate a specific execution node for that particular job or the compute
node reads the job from a certain queue? In this case, adding dynamic nodes
is possible?

My thoughts pretty are disjointed but I would much appreciate the
explanations..

Best Regards,
Omer