[torqueusers] What is the difference between PBS and Torque?

Garrick Staples garrick at usc.edu
Tue Feb 19 10:37:29 MST 2008

On Mon, Feb 18, 2008 at 10:37:24PM +0100, Omer Khalid alleged:
> Hi,
>
> I am a newbee to Torque/PBS/OpenPBS/PBSPro world and I am trying to
> understand the precise differences between. So I have understood is that
> PBSPro is the high-end version of PBS but in the documentations I always
> find Torque/PBS as resource managers. Are they the same the thing and got
> their names changed recently or they are different resource managers being
> exclusive or complementry to each other?
>
> Thanks in advance, cheers

PBS is the name of the POSIX "Portable Batch Service" specification.

OpenPBS was the original open source PBS implementation.

PBSPro is the closed-source PBS implementation.

TORQUE is a fork of OpenPBS after it was abandoned.

This list and CRI only deal with TORQUE.