[torqueusers] Non-cummulative pbsnodes -o command

John Wang jwang at dataseekonline.com
Thu Feb 14 15:58:22 MST 2008

Hello Garrick

Well, it's definitely non-cumulative with the -o option on both the 2.2.1
and 2.0.0p7 installs here.   The -r option is cumulative, I use the -r in a
loop on the node names to reset the nodes and return them to being online as
it only marks them down till the next update from pbs_mom, if we use the -c
option to return the nodes to the online state, it may erroneously mark the
node online for a while if the node is non-responsive (actually I think the
-c would be just fine for returning nodes to service too).

I compiled the 2.2.1 installation myself so I know that it is in fact a
2.2.1 installation (unless Cluster Resources misnames their packages for
download).   I do find it interesting that the 2.0.0p7 installation actually
states that the behaviour would be non-cumulative in the man page but I have
no idea if that was from the installation or a modified man page by the
prior support staff.

The intent is to wipeout the images of the legacy cluster once we work out
an image that we are happy with on the new cluster.   There's plenty on the
legacy cluster that had not been well documented and was implemented in a
non-standard fashion, apparently the previous staffing took the BOFH
mentality to heart.

Regards,
John