[torqueusers] qsub -X much slower than ssh -X

Prakash Velayutham prakash.velayutham at cchmc.org
Sun Feb 10 22:41:55 MST 2008

On Feb 11, 2008, at 12:24 AM, Garrick Staples wrote:

> On Sun, Feb 10, 2008 at 10:50:20PM -0500, Prakash Velayutham alleged:
>> Hello All,
>>
>> I recently noticed that performance of GUI-based applications like
>> Matlab are much slower during a qsub -X session than a ssh -X
>> session.
>> Matlab takes about 6 seconds to start up using qsub -X, but only 2
>> seconds using ssh -X.
>>
>> Any idea why? What should I check in my Torque server/MOM
>> configuration?
>
> There wouldn't be any configs for this.  I'll test tomorrow at work.

Hi Garrick,

Thanks. I just did a test again and here are the numbers.

qsub -I -X to a node asking for all procs (4 in this case). Starting
up Matlab (no options/arguments, nothing) takes about 25-28 seconds to
get me the GUI with prompt inside Matlab command window.

ssh -X to a node which has no job running (with 4 CPUs) and starting
up Matlab takes about 10 seconds to bring the GUI with prompt.

Sorry about my earlier figures of 6 seconds and 2 seconds. Those were
just proportions.

Thanks,
Prakash