[torqueusers] no spaces in directory names

Pete Wyckoff pw at osc.edu
Thu Feb 7 08:40:25 MST 2008

garrick at usc.edu wrote on Wed, 06 Feb 2008 13:53 -0800:
> I'm getting inclined to reject all spaces; adding checks to qsub to ensure that
> spaces don't sneak in with getcwd().
>
> Passing in metacharacters, $IFS chars, etc. is just not going to work reliably
> when eveything is interpreted and expanded in an unknown number of subshells.

Sigh.  That's what we already told the user who triggered this.  But
it is rather unfortunate.  POSIX clearly tells us that filenames may
include any character except / and \0.  A shame we have to break
this in the batch queueing world.

This getcwd() case seemed like a very understandable case of the
user not doing anything blatantly tricky.  But support for wildcards
and such is getting in the way of having that just work?

		-- Pete