[torqueusers] number of processors parameter

Jan Ploski Jan.Ploski at offis.de
Wed Feb 6 03:27:40 MST 2008

torqueusers-bounces at supercluster.org schrieb am 02/06/2008 11:14:56 AM:

> Dear list,
>
> we are running torque 2.1.8 on a small cluster (60 nodes) with different

> SMP configurations. That is, some nodes run 2 processors, some 4
> processors (2 dual core), and some of them run 8 processors (2 quad
> core). I am trying to figure out how can I submit a calculation using,
> for instance, 6 processors without specifying how I want these
> processors distributed into the nodes.  For instance, if I try to run a
> 6 procs job on 2 8-core machines I would like the job to be executed
> either if one node has 5 free cores and the other has three, o both have

> for free cores or whatever combination possible.
> I have checked the manual and I can only see how to ask for a number n
> of nodes with a specifyc ppn parameter. Is there any way with torque
> manager to achieve this kind of flexibility?

I don't know if this is possible with TORQUE alone, but with TORQUE/Maui
the default interpretation of "-l nodes=8" is "pick 8 available
processors, no matter from which nodes" (if you wanted 8 distinct nodes,
you could use "-l nodes=8:ppn=1"). This interpretation is affected by
Maui's JOBNODEMATCHPOLICY configuration parameter.

Regards,
Jan Ploski