[torqueusers] Re: [Mauiusers] Need to partition or allocate nodes to queues?

Jen aquarijen at gmail.com
Tue Dec 23 11:17:59 MST 2008

Yeah, we needed features 2.1x did not support (have to allow for the
submission of interactive jobs from other submit hosts {broken in the
version I was using}, need high availability, etc, ad nauseum).  We did get
this all worked out now with the acl_hosts and this is all working happily
and boringly again - seemed to be a version thing - and I simplified my
queues - took out the nodect and ncpu info.

Thank you for the reply!!!
-Jen

On Tue, Dec 23, 2008 at 12:13 AM, Garrick Staples <garrick at usc.edu> wrote:

> On Mon, Dec 22, 2008 at 03:58:08AM -0500, Jen alleged:
> > Hi All,
> >
> > I am not sure if this is a torque or Maui question, so please forgive the
> > crosspost. :}
> >
> > I used to do this blissfully boringly using acl_hosts.  Something has
> > changed and this is not working anymore between torque 2.1.x and now.  I
> > have the following:
> >
> > torque 2.3.5
> > maui 3.2.6p21
>
> Why upgrade from 2.1.x?  2.1.x is the most stable branch.  2.3 certainly
> has some new features, but if you don't need them, I recomment staying with
> 2.1.x.
>

> > I have a large cluster with several departments and these departments
> want
> > to use the nodes they purchased.  In the past, I set up a queue for each
> of
> > these departments and I assigned nodes to the queues in torque.  Has the
> way
> > to do this changed?  I have seen several messages lately from folks no
> > longer able to get it to work...
> > I am not married to this method and will happily implement any method
> that
> > will keep my (hundreds) of users separated and on their own nodes.  I do
> not
> > want them to have to change their scripts.  These are heterogeneous, too,
> so
> > it is not just a policy thing - the infiniband jobs won't run on the non
> IB
> > nodes, and the some are 8proc, some are 2, etc.
> >
> > I have tried the "neednodes" method.  It did nothing.
>
> I've been using the neednodes method for many years.  I'm currently using
> torque 2.1..10 (with some patches up to 2.1.12) and
> maui-3.2.6p20-snap.1223069659.
>

> > I've been trying to do partitions in Maui and that seems to be ignored as
> > well.  This is a 64 bit system, by the way.
>
> Can you try a 32bit build of maui?  I've recently noticed some problems
> with 64bit maui.
>

> > set queue esmg08q resources_max.cput = 10000:00:00
> > set queue esmg08q resources_max.ncpus = 179
> > set queue esmg08q resources_max.nodect = 22
> > set queue esmg08q resources_max.walltime = 10000:00:00
> > set queue esmg08q resources_min.cput = 00:00:01
> > set queue esmg08q resources_min.ncpus = 1
> > set queue esmg08q resources_min.nodect = 1
> > set queue esmg08q resources_default.neednodes=altix
> > set queue esmg08q resources_min.walltime = 00:00:01
> > set queue esmg08q resources_default.cput = 10000:00:00
> > set queue esmg08q resources_default.ncpus = 8
> > set queue esmg08q resources_default.walltime = 100:00:00
>
> I'd simply this.  ncpus and nodect often don't play well together.
>
> --
> Garrick Staples, GNU/Linux HPCC SysAdmin
> University of Southern California
>
> See the Dishonor Roll at http://www.californiansagainsthate.com/

Use it up; wear it out; make it do or do without! - L Reid