[torqueusers] -l arch default

Paul Buerger paul at osc.edu
Mon Dec 15 10:25:21 MST 2008

We are using Torque 2.1.8 and Moab 5.2.3.

The way I read the Torque documentation, the PBS resource arch 'defaults to whatever the PBS_MACH string is set to in "local.mk"'.  On our system PBS_MACH is set to "linux".  The Moab configuration also has "linux" as the arch for those compute nodes for which arch is not otherwise specified.  From all this I expect the following two commands to result in the same sort of scheduling.

     qsub -joe -l arch=linux
     qsub -joe

Alas, this does not seem to be the case.  The first command results in the job being consistently scheduled on nodes that Moab has configured (by default) to "linux".  The second command results in the job being scheduled willy-nilly on nodes that Moab has configured either as "linux" or as something else.

I have looked a bit at the source code but have not found anyplace where PBS_MACH actually gets used for anything.

Where have I gone wrong?

I do not think that it matters for the question at hand, but the default ("linux") nodes are Opteron compute nodes and the "something else" nodes are CellBE compute nodes.

Paul Buerger                                    paul at osc.edu
Ohio Supercomputer Center          (614) 292 4170
1224 Kinnear Rd         Columbus OH 43212-1163