[torqueusers] X Forwarding of Jobs

Justin Finnerty justin.finnerty at uni-oldenburg.de
Wed Dec 10 05:59:34 MST 2008

On Wed, 2008-12-10 at 01:35 -0700, Chris Vaughan wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I have a question about how you could set the following up.
>
> We have a cluster with submission/login nodes users login to those nodes and submit jobs to the cluster.  They are usually doing this from home or at a terminal that is not a login node.  What some of the users would like is to foward back the x display of an interactive job.  Is there a way to forward this outside of the cluster and back to the users computer at home with Torque?

Why can't they do "ssh -A -X" from home then "qsub -I -X"?  If this
fails I would suspect that libX11 is not installed on the compute nodes.

For Windows/Putty + Xserver the process is virtually identical---you
just have to find the X11 tunnel options in the set-up dialog. If your
Xserver is Xming you can use ssh and start an xterm on the login node
using settings from the XLaunch program.  This should work even through
firewalls as the X protocol is tunneled through the ssh connection.

--
Dr Justin Finnerty
Rm W3-1-165         Ph 49 (441) 798 3726