[torqueusers] torque daemons can not be stopeed during uninstall

onceihave onceihave at 163.com
Tue Dec 9 17:59:59 MST 2008

ÔÚ2008-12-10£¬"Jonathan Billings" <jsbillin at umich.edu> wrote£º
>Garrick Staples wrote:
>> On Tue, Dec 09, 2008 at 10:08:03PM +0100, Bogdan Costescu alleged:
>>> Well, if such an argument is used as part of a discussion, there is
>>> no discussion anymore. End of topic for me.
>>
>> Don't be offended.
>>
>> I brought up 2 possible scenerios to illustrate why I don't think the upstream
>> rpms shouldn't stop daemons.  You said admins shouldn't do those things.  You
>> may be right, but it doesn't stop the fact that they do.
>
>I tend to think that not stopping the daemons when a package is upgraded
>falls under the principal of least surprise[1].  It's probably not a
>great thing to do in production, but at least it isn't causing as much
>problems as if the daemons were shut down.

Well. Would you point out the problems if we stop daemon during uninstall?

?>It makes sense when a package is *removed* to shut down the daemon, but
>I think the problem we're seeing here is that the process of updating a
>package involves running the removal script for the old package, thereby
>stopping the daemon.

RPM script can distinguish uninstall/update by $1. Even in rpm update, restart
(that means we still need stop daemon first) daemon is reasonable, because the
admin should want the new binaries take effect.

Thanks.

Steven Wang

?>