[torqueusers] torque daemons can not be stopeed during uninstall

Steve Young chemadm at hamilton.edu
Tue Dec 9 14:32:39 MST 2008

	No I don't use rpm versions of torque server because too many times
you get all sorts of dependancy problems. I'd rather compile it
against the libs I currently have installed on the server.

  I do expect that for rpm packages (that I do use), when I tell it to
remove the package that it actually does stop the daemon and remove
the package. That seems to be the way most rpm's work. I would be a
little confused to remove the rpm and find that afterwards there is
still the daemon running? I could see using an rpm package for the
client nodes (pbs_mom).  There I would still expect that a uninstall
would stop the daemon and then remove the package.

	For me, It's much easier to compile the app and when I need to make
changes/upgrades I can compile another version and a quick stop of the
daemon and start of the new daemon will get me running. If there are
problems I can quickly revert back to the previous version. Suppose I
remove the rpm package and try to install a new version only to find
out that because of dependancies that I can't install the new version.
Now I'm stuck and I hope I can re-install the old version of the
package and get everything configured back the way I had it. This is
why I don't like to use rpm's for certain server applications.

	I do understand your point Garrick, and I agree with you about
torque. It can be a tricky beast sometimes. I'm just pointing out that
as an Admin I would actually expect that an rpm package would stop the
daemon and remove it.  Why would anyone not want it removed if that's
what they asked for?

-Steve