[torqueusers] torque daemons can not be stopeed during uninstall

Jonathan Billings jsbillin at umich.edu
Tue Dec 9 14:22:06 MST 2008

Garrick Staples wrote:
> On Tue, Dec 09, 2008 at 10:08:03PM +0100, Bogdan Costescu alleged:
>>> It doesn't matter if you think they should happen or not.
>> Well, if such an argument is used as part of a discussion, there is
>> no discussion anymore. End of topic for me.
>
> Don't be offended.
>
> I brought up 2 possible scenerios to illustrate why I don't think the upstream
> rpms shouldn't stop daemons.  You said admins shouldn't do those things.  You
> may be right, but it doesn't stop the fact that they do.

I tend to think that not stopping the daemons when a package is upgraded
falls under the principal of least surprise[1].  It's probably not a
great thing to do in production, but at least it isn't causing as much
problems as if the daemons were shut down.

It makes sense when a package is *removed* to shut down the daemon, but
I think the problem we're seeing here is that the process of updating a
package involves running the removal script for the old package, thereby
stopping the daemon.

1. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Principle_of_least_astonishment

--
Jonathan Billings <jsbillin at umich.edu>
The College of Language, Science, and the Arts