[torqueusers] getting torque/ pbs to reboot a node periodically.

Garrick Staples garrick at usc.edu
Tue Dec 9 14:00:27 MST 2008

On Tue, Dec 09, 2008 at 09:42:55PM +0100, Bogdan Costescu alleged:

> >>There is no extra script looking for the node note, the Python
> >>script polls the state of the node until it's only "offline",
> >>proceeds to do whatever it needs to reboot the node and as soon as
> >>the node goes into state "down" it clears the "offline" state.
> >
> >Without marking the node for reboot in some fashion, how do you know
> >which nodes to reboot?
>
> The script knows which nodes it needs to reboot; it ignores other
> nodes which are in "offline" state. If a node is marked "offline"
> manually but the script is still asked to reboot it, what difference
> could it make that the "offline" state was aquired from an admin or
> from the script itself as long as the final result is the same:
> draining of the node ?

Oh, so you are just using a different mechanism to tag the nodes to be
rebooted.

> >And your script doesn't check to see if it has a running job?
>
> You missed the 'polls the state of the node until it's only "offline"'
> or maybe I missed making it more verbose and saying 'and doesn't
> contain other states related to running jobs, like "job-exclusive"'.

You missed that nodes routinely have running jobs while having only the "free",
"busy", or "offline" states.  "job-exclusive" is only a special case where a
job has all of the node's resources.  This might be the norm on your cluster,
but it isn't the norm every where.

University of Southern California

See the Dishonor Roll at http://www.californiansagainsthate.com/