[torqueusers] torque daemons can not be stopeed during uninstall

Bogdan Costescu Bogdan.Costescu at iwr.uni-heidelberg.de
Tue Dec 9 13:36:11 MST 2008

> Stopping these daemons are a fairly big event that can't always be
> done without damaging production environments.

Removing packages is a big event in a production environment too.

> Here are two possible scenerios that I want to avoid:

I'm sorry to be so harsh, but both are really not things that should
happen in a production environment. If you want to experiment with
different Torque versions from different sources you don't do it on a
production cluster, but on a test one (even if it's a virtual one).

> During uninstall, there is no way to determine that the running
> binary is the same as the one that is being uninstalled.

There's a simple way to solve this: save the PID of the daemon started
by the init.d script; if the PID doesn't exist anymore, don't kill the
corresponding pbs_* process because it was not the one started by this
script. If an installation manages to use the same PID file or even
overwrites the init.d script, then this is the fault of the stupid
sysadmin not of the package.

> The admin could be temporarily uninstalling a package for various
> reasons.

Never heard of this one before. Upon uninstalling the package all
Torque utils disappear, leaving users and admins without any way to
interact with the daemon left running - this is not something that
should happen in a production environment.

--
Bogdan Costescu

IWR, University of Heidelberg, INF 368, D-69120 Heidelberg, Germany
Phone: +49 6221 54 8240, Fax: +49 6221 54 8850
E-mail: bogdan.costescu at iwr.uni-heidelberg.de