[torqueusers] torque daemons can not be stopeed during uninstall

Garrick Staples garrick at usc.edu
Tue Dec 9 12:10:38 MST 2008

On Tue, Dec 09, 2008 at 09:16:48AM +0800, onceihave alleged:
> Hi Garrick:
> Would you consider my request here? One simple check shows that some other HPC software such as Ganglia, Munge and Slurm have pre-uninstall operations to stop their daemons. Thanks.

I still don't think it is appropriate for upstream torque to be stopping or
starting daemons.  Stopping these daemons are a fairly big event that can't
always be done without damaging production environments.  If you restart ntpd,
nothing will care or notice.  If you restart sshd, nothing will care or notice.
But restarting pbs_mom or pbs_server is a pretty big deal that impacts how it
works going forward.  Stopping these daemons is an event that can not be taken
lightly.

Here are two possible scenerios that I want to avoid:

During uninstall, there is no way to determine that the running binary is the
same as the one that is being uninstalled.  It often happens, for new clusters,
admins try a few different sources of torque.  They might try the pre-built
package that came with the distro, they might build their own rpms, they might
use tpackages, etc.  But when %post runs, it doesn't know where the running
binary came from.

The admin could be temporarily uninstalling a package for various reasons.
Maybe they are trying to fix a dependency.  Maybe they are installing again
from another source.  But the admin wants to be as unobtrusive as possible and
restart the daemons at a later time.

Many distros package torque within their own repos, and they are free to set
whatever policy they want, but upstream torque should do as little as possible.