[torqueusers] torque daemons can not be stopeed duringuninstall

Bogdan Costescu Bogdan.Costescu at iwr.uni-heidelberg.de
Thu Dec 4 06:50:28 MST 2008

On Thu, 4 Dec 2008, Stewart.Samuels at sanofi-aventis.com wrote:

> The point is not to shutdown the daemons afterward, but to shutdown
> the daemons before you remove the packages.

The removal of the package should not leave anything behind.

> I have never experienced a need to do this yet.  I am curious as to
> how many administrators use this feature.

It really depends on how often you actually do it. The largest cluster
here runs Torque 2.1.x so during the past year or so I only had to
update it once (2.1.9 to 2.1.10). However, if I would have run 2.3.x,
I would have needed to update it more often. This matters because, any
time the package is updated, anything more than one command introduces
a probability of mistake.

I consider a good sysadmin practice to install on a test system first
and also to avoid doing an update immediately after it appears just
for the sake of always being up-to-date - instead I batch the updates,
often synchronized with their release from the distribution itself.
Furthermore, I have my own repo with packages that I built from
sources which are not available in the distribution. So I only have to
do:

yum update

and everything (both OS and self-built packages) is brough to the
state that I consider "stable". This could involve many daemons and I
don't stop manually before and start manually afterwards any of the
daemons - they are restarted through the mechanism that I've
described.

--
Bogdan Costescu

IWR, University of Heidelberg, INF 368, D-69120 Heidelberg, Germany
Phone: +49 6221 54 8240, Fax: +49 6221 54 8850
E-mail: bogdan.costescu at iwr.uni-heidelberg.de