[torqueusers] torque daemons can not be stopeed duringuninstall

Stewart.Samuels at sanofi-aventis.com Stewart.Samuels at sanofi-aventis.com
Thu Dec 4 06:33:16 MST 2008

-----Original Message-----
From: Bogdan Costescu [mailto:Bogdan.Costescu at iwr.uni-heidelberg.de]
Sent: Thursday, December 04, 2008 8:17 AM
To: Samuels, Stewart R&D/US
Cc: torqueusers at supercluster.org
Subject: RE: Re: [torqueusers] torque daemons can not be stopeed
duringuninstall

On Wed, 3 Dec 2008, Stewart.Samuels at sanofi-aventis.com wrote:

> I have never used RPM to stop running daemons when removing packages
> for an other application.  Is this something that is commonly done?

Yes, many daemons from the base OS (RHEL/Fedora, don't know about
SLES/OpenSUSE) do this. There are many reasons, one of them being: the
/etc/init.d script for starting and stopping the daemon is removed
together with the package - how do you properly shutdown the daemon
afterwards ?

>> The point is not to shutdown the daemons afterward, but to shutdown
the daemons before you remove the packages.

Another common feature of the base OS daemon packages is to use
"condrestart" as an argument to the /etc/init.d script. This is supposed
to run in %post and restart the daemon only if it was running before;
the use case is for a daemon that is updated while running - it will
continue to run until the installation of the new version is complete
and only then the old daemon is stopped and the new one started.

>> I have never experienced a need to do this yet.  I am curious as to
how many administrators use this feature.

	Stewart

--
Bogdan Costescu

IWR, University of Heidelberg, INF 368, D-69120 Heidelberg, Germany
Phone: +49 6221 54 8240, Fax: +49 6221 54 8850
E-mail: bogdan.costescu at iwr.uni-heidelberg.de