[torqueusers] torque daemons can not be stopeed duringuninstall

Stewart.Samuels at sanofi-aventis.com Stewart.Samuels at sanofi-aventis.com
Wed Dec 3 06:44:39 MST 2008

I have never used RPM to stop running daemons when removing packages for an other application.  Is this something that is commonly done?  I don't believe RPM is typically used to do this just to ensure a clean removal of the package.  In fact, I can visualize clear danger in doing so, with some serious side effects when running production systems.

My vote goes to leaving the shutdown procedures of daemons to administrators, as Garrick suggests.  In this way, sites know that there was a conscious decision to remove torque and not simply an accidentthat occurred.  Is it so difficult to shutdown the daemons prior to using RPM to remove the package?  I don't know how your configuration is setup, but in ours, it is as simple to do a two step process as a one step process to remove TORQUE.

Just my $.02.

    Stewart

               Stewart Samuels

               Infrastructure Evolution and Integration

               Scientific and Medical Affairs

               Sanofi-Aventis US

               1041 Route 202-206

              Bridgewater, NJ  08807

              Phone:              (908) 231-4762

              Fax:                 (908) 231-3488

              email:               Stewart.Samuels at Sanofi-Aventis.com