[torqueusers] troubles setting output and error file permissions with "-W umask=022"

Glen Beane glen.beane at gmail.com
Fri Aug 29 21:40:03 MDT 2008

On Thu, Aug 21, 2008 at 2:16 PM, Garrick Staples <garrick at usc.edu> wrote:

> On Thu, Aug 21, 2008 at 02:09:31PM -0400, Glen Beane alleged:
> > On Thu, Aug 21, 2008 at 1:48 PM, Garrick Staples <garrick at usc.edu>
> wrote:
> >
> > > On Wed, Aug 20, 2008 at 11:55:59AM -0600, Aaron Johnson alleged:
> by
> > >
> > > It is unfortunately expecting a decimal number.  Octal 22 is decimal
> 18.
> > >  Using
> > > umask=18 does what you want.
> > >
> > > *sigh*
> >

> > oops,   that seems like behavior we probably want to change.  I'm
> > embarrassed to admit I'm the one that wrote that code!
>
> Should probably do the check in qsub.  If the ATTR_umask string starts with
> 0, then convert to decimal first.

I'm checking in code into trunk that does this.  If the umask value starts
with 0 then it is converted to decimal, if it does not start with 0 then it
is treated as a decimal value.

So if a user passes -W umask=022 and then they do a qstat -f on the job they
will see that the umask job attribute has a value of 18 since the attribute
value is displayed as a decimal number.

I may end up backporting this to the 2.3-fixes branch, since I would
consider treating a umask of 022 as decimal 22 as a bug. Anything without a
leading zero will still be considered a base 10 value