[torqueusers] Question regarding configuring a queue with acl_groups

Michael Homa mhoma at uic.edu
Tue Aug 19 09:39:51 MDT 2008

On Fri, 15 Aug 2008, Chris Samuel wrote:

> ----- "Michael Homa" <mhoma at uic.edu> wrote:
>
> > I'm configuring torque (version 2.2.1) for a university-based cluster.
> > I'm setting up an execution queue for jobs submitted by staff employees
> > and not from students;
>
> Don't know if this is any help, but we tend to put all
> those smarts into the scheduler, the only queues we
> have are to allocate default walltimes to jobs (mainly
> for a commercial application that will let users select
> queues but not walltimes).
>
> For instance we put users into different primary
> groups based on their institution and can then set
> per institute limits based on that with GROUPCFG.
>
> If you're worried about users submitting too many
> jobs then don't forget you can use MAXJOB and MAXIJOB
> to stop them queue stuffing.

Thanks for the help. By the way, I don't think the feature of "if not in
this group, let the job into the queue" works. I found a note in the
archives which indicated that someone had configured a queue that way.
And, my interpretation of queue attributes in the ERS made me think it
was possible. But, I put a boatload of print statements into the server
source to follow the flow and the resulting output, under various queue
configurations, showed that the logic would not work. I found that
only the positive works: if you are in the group, let the job into
the queue. Anyways, thanks again.

Michael