[torqueusers] Only one cpu used even for parallel program

Chris Samuel csamuel at vpac.org
Fri Aug 15 00:35:33 MDT 2008

----- "cfdlab 72725890" <cfdlab.72725890 at bloglines.com> wrote:

> Hello
> I am trying to submit a parallel job using torque
> and maui. qstat says that the requested number of
> cpu are allocated. But when I look at the output
> from my program, I see that only one cpu is being used.

OpenMPI can be compiled against Torque to get it to
use the TM API to work out automatically how many
CPUs to use and where they are.

Sounds like your version doesn't have that, and that
would explain what's going wrong for you.

When you configure Torque you may need to point it
to your Torque install if it doesn't find it itself,
for instance we add the following to our configure:

  --with-tm=/usr/local/torque/latest

Once it works you can use OpenMPI's mpiexec program
to do what you need thus:

mpiexec /path/to/mpi/program

Best of luck!
Chris