[torqueusers] qsub -X much slower than ssh -X

Lawrence Lowe L.S.Lowe at bham.ac.uk
Thu Aug 14 03:09:46 MDT 2008

Hi, I saw this old thread and have observed much the same thing myself:
bigger latencies when using qsub -IX versus ssh -X, again with MatLab:

                                 local    qsub-IX  ssh-X

start to matlab "Ready"         9 sec    23 sec   21 sec

start to matlab "Ready" repeat  4 sec    14 sec    9 sec

time to show klein image     <0.5 sec    10 sec    3 sec

latency after window switch  <0.5 sec     9 sec   <1 sec

These used an otherwise-empty node.

Our cluster is running Torque 2.1.6. Has anything been fixed which would
suggest an upgrade to 2.3.2? I can't see anything that hints at that in
the CHANGELOG for 2.3.2.

It's as if packets aren't being pushed at the appropriate time, in one
direction or the other. But that's only a wild guess. I haven't found
another application myself which has the same bad window-switch latency
(but I'll keep looking).

Any thoughts, anyone?

Thanks, Lawrence.

Tel: 0121 414 4621    Fax: 0121 414 6709    Email: L.S.Lowe at bham.ac.uk