[torqueusers] Maui config for min memory but fast procs

Lippert, Kenneth B. Kenneth.Lippert at alcoa.com
Wed Aug 13 13:56:22 MDT 2008

Let's say I  have this situation:

	nodeA   32 GB RAM	  fast proc
	nodeB   8 GB RAM    fast proc
	nodeC	  8 GB RAM    slow proc

My initial maui configuration had NODEALLOCATIONPOLICY set to CPULOAD
which would put jobs on the machine with the most available CPU "power".
But obviously I don't want a 7GB job to run on nodeA and take up 32 GB
when it doesn't need it, blocking out a later 30GB job that does.

So I tried to set the policy to MINRESOURCE, but now the 7GB job is
going to run on slow nodeC when it could have run on the faster nodeB.

I am now trying

NODEALLOCATIONPOLICY PRIORITY
NODECFG[DEFAULT] PRIORITYF='5*CPROCS - LOAD - 0.01*AMEM"

NODEAVAILABILITYPOLICY UTILIZED:MEM DEDICATED:PROC

but the results are the same as my second case above (runs on slow
nodeC).

In English, i want the job to run on the fastest available, least loaded
machine, without wasting available memory.

I am having a hard time getting my head around the maui settings.  Any
help would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you.
-kenn lippert
Kenn Lippert