[torqueusers] Torque and Xen

Artem Y. Pervin artempervin at gmail.com
Sat Apr 26 03:10:26 MDT 2008

Dear torque users.

I would like to ask you for a advice for a system I'm developing that relies
on torque.
Let me describe the system first.

The part of the system that talks with torque should request a certain
amount on nodes of a cluster and launch there a virtual machine instance
(one vm instance per host).
I'm using Xen virtual machine for now. Thus the instantiations of virtual
machine would result into a virtual cluster (after some iptabling).

I've developed this system already, but it doesn't deal with torque. I have
a central utility which send requests to computational nodes to manage
vms on these nodes.
And now I'm about to integrate this system with torque.

I've managed to create a script that launches virtual machines on a selected
amount of nodes. It looks like this:
on the central host:
----
#!/bin/bash

#PBS -S /bin/bash

pbsdsh -v /home/torque/myscript.sh
----

on nodes:
----
#!/bin/bash

pushd /opt/xen
sudo /usr/sbin/xm create vnode.cfg
popd
----

The problem is that several seconds after the launching the /usr/sbin/xm
returns the execution control and the torque switches this node to "free"
state. But in my case the node should be in "job-exclusive" state all the
time the virtual machine on this node is online.

How could I achive this?

Thanks in advance.

--
Best regards,