[torqueusers] How to upgrade torque safely?

Chris Samuel csamuel at vpac.org
Thu Apr 24 19:01:23 MDT 2008

----- "James J Coyle" <jjc at iastate.edu> wrote:

> Weiguang,
>
>    I'm very cautious and want to keep users aware of a major change
> in the system, which they appreciate.  Similar procedures take place
> for any major system software.  I've never had to roll back torque,
> but I have had to for other software whose new version did not work.

Excellent!

A few additional notes from ourselves:

1) We install Torque into /usr/local/torque/$version and
symlink /usr/local/torque/latest to $version. The client
commands in /usr/local/bin and /usr/local/sbin are then
symlinked to their targets in /usr/local/torque/latest .

2) Once we stop the old pbs_server we take a tar copy
of the PBS directory with all the logs and queued jobs.
This way if we do have to roll back we don't have problems
from PBS having upgraded the job files to the new version.

3) Many of our jobs run for months, so on our P3 test
cluster we check to see if job inheritance from the old
mom to the new mom still works.

I think that's about all we've got to add.

cheers!
Chris