[torqueusers] Efficiently using nodes with multi-core CPU

James J Coyle jjc at iastate.edu
Thu Apr 24 11:39:41 MDT 2008

Zerony,

   I'm a torque user, not a developer.

   You can use use
qmgr -c 'set server node_pack = False'
this will certainly work if you are using pbs_sched as the scheduler.
If you are using Maui, I'm not sure if the answer is the same.

  This will prefer sending a single cpu job to an idle node.
If an idle node is not available, it will run on a node that
has at least one processor available.

  I used to run that way, but changed to node_pack = True
since most of my users want to run with many full nodes (ppn=4).
Having serial jobs pack together increases the number of fully idle
nodes avaialble for these large jobs.

--
 James Coyle, PhD
 SGI Origin, Alpha, Xeon and Opteron Cluster Manager