[torqueusers] Efficiently using nodes with multi-core CPU

James J Coyle jjc at iastate.edu
Thu Apr 24 11:39:41 MDT 2008

   I'm a torque user, not a developer.

   You can use use
qmgr -c 'set server node_pack = False'
this will certainly work if you are using pbs_sched as the scheduler.
If you are using Maui, I'm not sure if the answer is the same.

  This will prefer sending a single cpu job to an idle node.
If an idle node is not available, it will run on a node that
has at least one processor available.

  I used to run that way, but changed to node_pack = True
since most of my users want to run with many full nodes (ppn=4).
Having serial jobs pack together increases the number of fully idle
nodes avaialble for these large jobs.

 James Coyle, PhD
 SGI Origin, Alpha, Xeon and Opteron Cluster Manager
 High Performance Computing Group
 235 Durham Center
 Iowa State Univ.
 Ames, Iowa 50011           web: http://jjc.public.iastate.edu