[torqueusers] Limiting max CPUs used by a queue

Peter van Heusden pvh at sanbi.ac.za
Wed Apr 23 07:18:12 MDT 2008

Hi there

We are running Torque 2.3.0 on an IBM p690 with 32 CPUs. We've got two
queues - the default batch queue (for jobs less with less than 2 hours
runtime) and the long run queue (no runtime limit). We would like to
limit the long run queue to never use more than 16 CPUs - I've set the
max_running to 16, the resources_max.ncpus to 16 and the
resources_available.ncpus to 16. I would think that this means that if I
submit a job using 16 CPUs, and then one using 2 CPUs, the 2 CPU job
would remain queued until the 16 CPU job is finished - but this is not
the case, both jobs run.

Any idea why this is so?

Peter