[torqueusers] forcing use of one processor per node?

John Young j.e.young at larc.nasa.gov
Wed Apr 16 12:56:42 MDT 2008

>From: Troy Baer <troy at osc.edu>
>Cc: torqueusers at supercluster.org
>Date: Wed, 16 Apr 2008 14:00:39 -0400

[snip]
>> And despite specifically asking for 'ppn=1', I got:
>>
>> Warning: no access to tty (Bad file descriptor).
>> Thus no job control in this shell.
>> This is the list of nodes that Torque has assigned to this job:
>> n16
>> n16
>> n17
>> n17
>>
>> So it does not appear to me that the application is at fault.  :-/
>
>I suspect this is coming from your scheduler configuration rather than
>TORQUE.  IIRC, the defaults in Maui allow it to rewrite the node
>specification so long as it results in the requested number of
>processors.  If you want it to follow your node specification exactly,
>you may need to set the following in your maui.cfg:
>
>JOBNODEMATCHPOLICY EXACTNODE
>
>	--Troy
>--
>Troy Baer, Supercomputing Support Engineer
>Ohio Supercomputer Center
>Phone:  614-292-9701
>http://www.osc.edu/supercomputing/

Troy,

    It would seem that you are correct, sir.  :-)  I made the
specified change to my maui.cfg file, removed the explicit
memory requirement from my batch file, and re-ran my test job.
Now, when I ask for '#PBS -l nodes=4:ppn=1', I do actually
seem to be getting the requested four nodes.  Many thanks!

						JY
John E. Young				NASA LaRC B1148/R226
Analytical Services and Materials, Inc.       (757) 864-8659
'All ideas and opinions expressed in this communication are
those of the author alone and do not necessarily reflect the
ideas and opinions of anyone else.'