[torqueusers] forcing use of one processor per node?

John Young j.e.young at larc.nasa.gov
Wed Apr 16 11:29:23 MDT 2008

Many thanks to all who responded!

To answer some questions, yes, I am using maui with torque.

The job I am running does use HP-MPI, and I was not sure
whether Torque was handing the application a bad mp_host_list
or whether the application was misbehaving.  Based one one
of the suggestions received, I added to my PBS batch file a
command to list out the contents of $PBS_NODEFILE

#!/bin/sh
#PBS -l nodes=4:ppn=1
#PBS -q default
#PBS -j oe
#PBS -N s1.PBS
echo 'This is the list of nodes that Torque has assigned to this job:'
cat $PBS_NODEFILE
.
.
.

And despite specifically asking for 'ppn=1', I got:

Warning: no access to tty (Bad file descriptor).
Thus no job control in this shell.
This is the list of nodes that Torque has assigned to this job:
n16
n16
n17
n17

So it does not appear to me that the application is at fault.  :-/

Several folks suggested specifying a memory requirement, so
(after a little experimentation :-) I found that using

#PBS -l pmem=2000mb

gets me what I want.  'qstat -f job-id | grep exec_host' now
gives me

exec_host = n41/0+n42/0+n43/0+n44/0

and the logfile agrees:

Warning: no access to tty (Bad file descriptor).
Thus no job control in this shell.
This is the list of nodes that Torque has assigned to this job:
n41
n42
n43
n44