[torqueusers] have enough nodes,but job is not running

pat.o'bryant at exxonmobil.com pat.o'bryant at exxonmobil.com
Wed Apr 16 06:25:55 MDT 2008

Zhyang,
    Here is something you might try. Code up a Torque "job_script" with the
following "#PBS" control cards. Note that "#PBS" control cards can take the
place of command line arguments and they follow the same format.   Submit
the job using "qsub job_script". If you specify ppn > (number of
cpus/node),  Maui (for some paramter settings) will look for a matching
node with that number of cpus minimum. So for example, if you use "#PBS -l
nodes=8:ppn=4", Maui will look for nodes with 4 cpus. If it can't find a
node like that,  the job will remain queued. The thing to keep in mind is
that Torque queues your job and Maui (in your case) actually decides where
and when your job will execute. Most execution problems will be due to
Maui/Moab parameter settings. Here are some links to check as well:

http://www.clusterresources.com/wiki/doku.php?id=torque:2.1_job_submission
http://www.clusterresources.com/products/mwm/docs/a.fparameters.shtml

Contents of "job_script"
----------------------------------
#!/bin/bash
#PBS -N Short
#PBS -l nodes=8:ppn=2,walltime=00:02:00
pwd
hostname

End of "job_script"
---------------------------

Thanks,
 Pat

J.W. (Pat) O'Bryant,Jr.
Business Line Infrastructure
Technical Systems, HPC
Office: 713-431-7022

             zhyang at lzu.edu
             .cn
                                      pat.o'bryant at exxonmobil.com
             04/15/08 07:19                                             cc
             AM                       torqueusers at supercluster.org
                                                                   Subject
                                      Re: Re: [torqueusers] have enough
                                      nodes,but job is not running

Hi pat

I am not use the pbs control cards. I have 56 nodes, 2 cpu per node.