[torqueusers] Submitting X application

Priskin, Juraj (CZ10) Juraj.Priskin at Honeywell.com
Thu Apr 10 23:36:04 MDT 2008

Hi Glen,

Thanks for the tip. What the -X does for the qsub ? I'm guessing that it
only exports the $DISPLAY from the submitting host to execution node.
Correct ?

I suppose that my issue is more X related than PBS (Torque). I
encountered that I cannot open the X application even without PBS. I use
ssh to connect from one node to any one. If I disable the ssh
X-forwarding via ssh -x (having it enabled usually), I'm not able to
forward X via unsecure connection (security does not matter here for me)
for some hosts. So this is probably why the application started by PBS
cannot open the display.

Most of the nodes are RedHat Linux Enterprise 4, some others are old
Fedora ones.  I need to take a closer look on X server setup. Here is an
example which does not work for some nodes, but works for some others.

submit_node$ xhost +

submit_node$ ssh -x exec_node

exec_node$ export DISPLAY=submit_node:X.Y

exec_node$ run_my_x_appl

Error: Can't open display

exec_node$

Regards,