[torqueusers] Submitting X application

David Singleton David.Singleton at anu.edu.au
Thu Apr 10 15:04:51 MDT 2008

If you:

   1. can get X display from the cluster front end using ssh -X
   2. set
      X11Forwarding yes
      X11UseLocalhost no
      in your front end sshd_config (this may be considered dubious
      if on an open network)
   3. have shared home directories (for .Xauthority) between
      cluster front end and compute nodes
   4  submit from the frontend using qsub -I -v DISPLAY

you should get X forwarding working even with OpenPBS.

ssh should set DISPLAY to "frontend_hostname:displaynumber".
The compute nodes have to recognize "frontend_hostname" as
the front end (i.e. be able to get the IP address for that
hostname string).

David

Priskin, Juraj (CZ10) wrote:
> Greetings,
>

> We have running the OpenPBS cluster at Linux network for a while for
> batch computer intensive jobs. I was asked to configure the cluster in
> order to make possible submit interactive jobs which launch X-windows
> application, i.e. running the GUI based application at one of the MOM
> machine and see the graphic result on the machine where the job was
> submitted. This approach would better balance the GUI applications load
> over the network.
>

> I did several trials with interactive job "qsub -I" but I did not get
> into the state when the X was forwarded to the client where the job was
> submitted. I usually get the "Can't open display" error message from the
> application. I tried to set the DISPLAY env. variable to the submitting
> node, set the xhost +, etc. but no result. I'm not an expert of
> X-windows system at all. Since I'm running quite obsolete slightly
> configured OpenPBS 2.3.16, I looked at Torque hoping to find some
> solution. It was not the case, thus I'm asking whether someone has some
> solution for this issue.
>

> I know just very few about the LSF, but it somehow supports this
> feature.
>

> Any solution ?
>

> Thank you,
>

> Juraj Priskin
>
> ASIC/FPGA Design
>
> Honeywell International

    Dr David Singleton               ANU Supercomputer Facility
    HPC Systems Manager              and APAC National Facility
    David.Singleton at anu.edu.au       Leonard Huxley Bldg (No. 56)
    Phone: +61 2 6125 4389           Australian National University
    Fax:   +61 2 6125 8199           Canberra, ACT, 0200, Australia