[torqueusers] Two questions: one about acl_groups; the other, maximum jobs across queues

Michael Homa mhoma at uic.edu
Fri Apr 4 15:25:11 MDT 2008

I'm creating a new cluster Torque 2.21 and Maui 3.2.

Question 1:
-----------
Is there a "not" this group in acl_groups? I'm at a university and we have
two types of users: students and faculty/staff. Students all have a GID of
110 (student). If I want to force a student into one or more queues, I
would do acl_groups=student. But, for other queues which are for faculty
and staff only, I want to exclude students (acl_groups=!student).
There is no single GID if you are not a student (hundreds, in fact). There
was nothing in the torque manual suggesting a "not" feature and the
acl_logic_or would not accomplish what I want have.

Question 2:
-----------
As can be deduced from question 1, I want to create two classes of queues:
one for students; the other for faculty. Within the student class, I want
three queues: short, medium, and long. But, I want to incentivize students
to use the short question (if possible). I should be able to do this by
allowing them to run more jobs on the short and medium queues: 3, for
example, on short and 2 on medium. But, without a global jobs per user
across all queues, I don't see how the scheme could work. The
MAXJOBPERUSER option in MAUI will not do what I want. Can anyone suggest a
way to do what I want?

I'm not able to test this out as I don't as yet have all my harware.

Michael Homa
Academic Computing and Communication Center
University of Illinois at Chicago
email:  mhoma at uic.edu