[torqueusers] pbs_mom being run by non-priv user

Garrick Staples garrick at usc.edu
Fri Sep 28 15:56:19 MDT 2007

On Fri, Sep 28, 2007 at 09:45:27AM -0400, Jon Akers alleged:
> We are running a torque / Maui configuration on a cluster of about 400
> nodes, and from time to time we find that pbs_mom has either crashed and
> restarted or was initially started as a non-privileged user.
>
> pbs_mom is installed on each of the clients with the following permissions:
>
> -rwx------  1 root root 317504 Jul 26 10:06 /usr/sbin/pbs_mom
>
> We find it on machines from time to time being run by normal users. Any
> ideas as to why this would be happening?

pbs_mom must be initially started as root.  This is mandatory since pbs_mom
must be able to work on behalf of regular users and only root can set*id()
itself.  You will occasionally find pbs_mom processes running as regular users
when doing things like file copies.

It *can't* be initially started as a non-privileged user.  It will refuse to start.

If pbs_mom is crashing, be sure you are running the latest stable (2.1.9).