[torqueusers] about multiserver

Jacques Foury Jacques.Foury at math.u-bordeaux1.fr
Tue Sep 18 10:30:40 MDT 2007

vanilla a écrit :
> I have some trouble in pbs job submission and run. I know it is
> because of multiserver, but I can't mend it.
What is a "multiserver" ? Torque can only have a single server, as far
as I know...
> The cluster (oscar 5.0) has one head node and one compute node, as the
> following:
> cat /etc/hosts
> ----------------------
> # Do not remove the following line, or various programs
> # that require network functionality will fail.
> 127.0.0.1 <http://127.0.0.1>       localhost.localdomain   localhost
> 192.168.190.1 <http://192.168.190.1>   oscar_server.oscardomain
> oscar_server nfs_oscar pbs_oscar
> 192.168.22.107 <http://192.168.22.107>  dchen-linux.localdomain
> dchen-linux
>
> # These entries are managed by SIS, please don't modify them.
> 192.168.190.2 <http://192.168.190.2>        oscarnode1.oscardomain
> oscarnode1
> ---------------------------
> 1. when I config  /var/spool/pbs/torque.cfg file as the following:
> -----------------------------
>       1 QSUBSLEEP   2
>       2 SERVERHOST  dchen-linux
>       3 ALLOWCOMPUTEHOSTSUMBIT  true
> ------------------------------
> qsub is successful and I can see all jobs in qstat , but all jobs
> just  in queue, can't run.

Do you have a scheduler ? Does it run ? It is the scheduler, which
orders the jobs to start !
Anyway I don't know that file, maybe it's OSCAR-specific... can you run
qmgr -c "p s" and tell us what's the Torque server ?

What's the version of Torque you're using ? Recently Torque is
prefferably in /var/lib/torque ... and the config file is only read when
creating the database for torque. After that first start, use qmgr to
change parameters... and stop/start the services.

> 2. when I config /var/spool/pbs/torque.cfg file in another way:
> ---------------------------------
>       1 QSUBSLEEP   2
>       2 SERVERHOST  oscar_server
>       3 ALLOWCOMPUTEHOSTSUMBIT  true
> qsub failed.
>
> How to config and run qsub successfully?
> Thanks for help.

What you want is a submit host ?
Just add your submit host to server's /etc/hosts.equiv and install the
Torque client package on the submit host.

--

Jacques Foury
Institut de Mathématiques de Bordeaux