[torqueusers] defining queues by user defined node features

Garrick Staples garrick at usc.edu
Mon Sep 17 15:27:48 MDT 2007

On Fri, Sep 14, 2007 at 03:47:43PM -0400, P Spencer Davis alleged:
> Hello,
>   I'm running v 2.1.6 of PBS as a resource manager with v 3.2.6p19 of
> the Maui scheduler. All the compute nodes are running RHEL 4 with the
> 2.6.9-55 kernel. The cluster is heterogious, 32 of the nodes are 32 bit
> dual processor, and the other 32 are 64 bit dual processor. The nodes
> file in server_priv is configured as follows (edited for brevity)
> n31 np=2 x86
> n32 np=2 x86-64

My advise is a completely different direction.  Don't use the arch as a node property.  There is already a node attribute called "arch" that you can use for this.

If you look at 'pbsnodes -a', you'll arch=i686 and arch=x86_64 associated with
the different nodes.  Then just add that arch to your resource request.

In general, if you've compiled and installed software correctly, 32bit binaries
run correctly on 64bit hosts.  This means that users of 32bit binaries can
simply omit the arch because their jobs run everywhere.  Users of 64bit
binaries add "arch=x86_64" to their request and it will only run on 64bit
nodes.