[torqueusers] More than one job per CPU

Jeremy Mann jeremy at biochem.uthscsa.edu
Tue Sep 11 15:16:54 MDT 2007

I've been searching the mail archive most of the day and I haven't found
anything regarding what our problem, well we call it a problem, is.

We have a program that we run on our cluster a few hundred iterations at a
time. We nice the program 19 so it won't interfere with any other program.
So far, we've been doing this manually. Now we want to incorporate it into
PBS/Maui. The problem we are coming into is even though we submit it with
-l nice=19, PBS still says that compute node is state=busy and all other
jobs stay in the queue. We run the program niced 19 because it usually
runs for about 5-6 days on our 20 nodes, so we need the ability to run
other things during this time.

What I've been trying to accomplish for a few days now is to somehow make
PBS submit a job to a compute node that has this niced 19 job running on
it. I've tried everything I can think of and what I've found in the

The changes I've tried are:

In maui.cfg I've added:
NODEMAXLOAD             4.00

USERCFG[tigre]          QDEF=tigre
USERCFG[abarca]         QDEF=gasbor

My idea here was to create to QoS's, where the gasbor job (the niced 19
job) would preempt in favor of the tigre jobs. This however has never

I took one compute node offline and edited it mom_priv/config file and
added '$ideal_load 4.0'. My thinking here was if the telling PBS this node
will run at a 4.0 load, it will execute mode jobs on this node. Again,
this never worked either.

Has anybody tried to do what I'm trying to do?

Jeremy Mann
jeremy at biochem.uthscsa.edu

Bioinformatics Core Facility
Phone: (210) 567-2672