[torqueusers] More than one job per CPU

Jeremy Mann jeremy at biochem.uthscsa.edu
Tue Sep 11 15:16:54 MDT 2007

I've been searching the mail archive most of the day and I haven't found
anything regarding what our problem, well we call it a problem, is.

We have a program that we run on our cluster a few hundred iterations at a
time. We nice the program 19 so it won't interfere with any other program.
So far, we've been doing this manually. Now we want to incorporate it into
PBS/Maui. The problem we are coming into is even though we submit it with
-l nice=19, PBS still says that compute node is state=busy and all other
jobs stay in the queue. We run the program niced 19 because it usually
runs for about 5-6 days on our 20 nodes, so we need the ability to run
other things during this time.

What I've been trying to accomplish for a few days now is to somehow make
PBS submit a job to a compute node that has this niced 19 job running on
it. I've tried everything I can think of and what I've found in the
manpages.

The changes I've tried are:

In maui.cfg I've added:
NODEACCESSPOLICY        SHARED
NODEALLOCATIONPOLICY    MINRESOURCE
NODECFG[DEFAULT]        PRIORITYF=JOBCOUNT
NODEMAXLOAD             4.00

USERCFG[tigre]          QDEF=tigre
USERCFG[abarca]         QDEF=gasbor
QOSCFG[gasbor]          PRIORITY=-100 FLAGS=PREEMPTEE
QOSCFG[tigre]           PRIORITY=100 FLAGS=PREEMPTOR:IGNMAXJOB

My idea here was to create to QoS's, where the gasbor job (the niced 19
job) would preempt in favor of the tigre jobs. This however has never
worked.

I took one compute node offline and edited it mom_priv/config file and
added '$ideal_load 4.0'. My thinking here was if the telling PBS this node
will run at a 4.0 load, it will execute mode jobs on this node. Again,
this never worked either.

Has anybody tried to do what I'm trying to do?

--
Jeremy Mann
jeremy at biochem.uthscsa.edu

Bioinformatics Core Facility