[torqueusers] Torque user activity

Ronny T. Lampert telecaadmin at gmail.com
Mon Sep 10 02:02:00 MDT 2007

Hi,

> Can someone clarify to me if / how torque handles console activity.  We
> are in the midst of moving from PBS pro to torque for a "partial

torque doesn't. Unlike Condor it's not really meant for "shared"
workstations.

> availability" cluster that we run (available between 2am and 7am) on
> some campus desktop machines.  We wanted to know what the best way to go
> about detecting whether or not a user is logged in at the console so as
> to prevent computers that are in use from starting jobs.

The only thing torque does (or can do) is load checking.
E.g. you specify a load limit and if it is reached the node will be
marked as not available for jobs.

You can enhance torque's pbs_mom to have a custom "node up check" -
there you can run a script you like and determine if the node is in
interactive use or not.

Keep in mind that there probably is no golden key to solve that issue -
and I've never done anything like that.

Cheers,
Ronny