[torqueusers] User's job can mess up the system so thatno jobs run

Atwood, Robert C r.atwood at imperial.ac.uk
Fri Sep 7 05:28:52 MDT 2007

>> Aaron Tygart said:
>> Hm, seems as though stdout and stderr for each respective
>> job is owned by root.

> Rushton Martin said:
> On my system the output files are in /var/spool/torque/spool and
> are owned by the user.  They move to /var/spool/torque/undelivered

My system behaves like Rushton Martin's rather than Aaron Tygart's in
this respect, in case the network of quotation was not clear.

I received a few suggestions on and off list for mechanisms to recover
and prevent this problem in the future, such as external script to test
the state etc.
Many thanks for the helpful suggestions.

I hope it's ok if I forward some of the offlist suggestions to the list
-- as future questioners may be searching the list! I hate finding the
same question but no answers when I search mailing lists for my
problems.

 I still think it is a bit of a problem within TORQUE, that it is
possible in the default setup for a single user to cause all other users
jobs to fail completely silently, and hence requireing these external
solutions to ensure smooth running.