[torqueusers] looking for brave OS X torque users

Glen Beane glen.beane at gmail.com
Wed Sep 5 18:44:13 MDT 2007

On 9/5/07, Colin Potter <colinpotter at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi Glen,
>
> Have you had any luck with freeing the pbs_mom code from /dev/kmem
> dependencies?
>
> I am installing torque onto a 2 x 3 GHZ Quad Core Intel Xeon Power
> Mac. I'm getting the following error message when I try to launch
> pbs_mom:
>
> 09/05/2007 18:27:14;0001;   pbs_mom;Svr;pbs_mom;No such file or
> directory (2) in dep_initialize, kvm_open
> 09/05/2007 18:27:14;0001;   pbs_mom;Svr;pbs_mom;No such file or
> directory (2) in mom_open_poll, kvm_open
> 09/05/2007 18:27:14;0001;   pbs_mom;Svr;pbs_mom; System error:
> (15010) in pbs_mom, pre_poll failed
>
> Is that what is fixed in your version?
>
> Thanks for whatever info you can provide me with.
>
>   Colin

Hi Colin,

This dependency on libkvm has been removed in the subversion trunk
(what will eventually become TORQUE 2.2.0).  We did not think it would
be appropriate to backport this into the 2.1.x.  This means the latest
stable release, 2.1.9 will not work on Intel based Macs with default
configurations.

There is a work around for older versions of TORQUE with the libkvm
dependency.  If you take a look at the  text document named INSTALL
included in the torque tar.gz,  you will see a section called OS
NOTES.  There is a section about OS X on X86 and some notes on how to
re-enable /dev/kmem.  (In short, you need to run this command as root:
 nvram boot-args="kmem=1",  and then you need to reboot the computer)