[torqueusers] MOM log file rotation

Joshua Bernstein jbernstein at penguincomputing.com
Wed Sep 5 13:29:36 MDT 2007

Hi,

	I really like the way that pbs_mom handles log files by naming them
with the date, and then automatically rotating them when the date changes.

	I have a few comments though:

1) I see that pbs_mom takes -L option to override the log file location,
but if the argument to -L is a directory, then log creation fails.

2) If I specify an argument to -L, then pbs_mom no longer manages the
file by naming it correctly, and properly rotating it.

It would be a nice if when the argument to -L is a directory, pbs_mom
simply uses that directory and manages the logs as it would if there was
no -L argument.

I could try and supply a patch to 2.1.8 to attempt to do this, but I'm
not sure the implications this would have to binaries like tracejob and
other accounting systems, such as the Moab tools.

Thoughts?

-Joshua Bernstein
Software Engineer
Penguin Computing